After a few days traveling I contemplated hitting up Burger King on my way home. Then I remembered I had frozen cherry tomatoes and this tomato soup was ready in 30 minutes.
Seriously, I don’t know why my brain goes to junk food when I don’t have a plan or travel. I have to remember it’s not my birthday every day – ha!
Can you freeze cherry tomatoes?
Absolutely! These cherry tomatoes are from the framers market from September. Simply put the tomatoes on a cookie sheet and freeze for at least 30 minutes, then store in a ziptop bag. Because they were frozen individually before storing, they won’t stick together.
What ingredients to you need for tomato soup?
- tomatoes (regular tomatoes work too!)
- vegetable broth
A good stock pot is great too. I love my cast iron Dutch Oven from Walmart.
- 1 pound fresh or frozen cherry tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper (or to taste)
- 3 cups vegetable broth (or any broth)
- In a stock pot, heat the cherry tomatoes, tomato paste, carrots, celery and garlic with 2 cups of broth. Simmer over medium low heat for 30 minutes, or until the celery and carrots are fork tender.
- Blend with a blender, or stick blender, until smooth. Return soup to pot.
- Mix the cornstarch with 1 tablespoon remaining broth. Mix well and add to the pot. Add in the chili powder, crushed red pepper and remaining broth and simmer for 5 additional minutes. This is a rather thick soup, so thin out with additional broth to your desired consistency.
- Garnish with greek yogurt and fresh parsley if you are feeling fancy.
For me this soup is 1 WW point. Click this link to see what the points would be on your WW personal plan.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 74Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 589mgCarbohydrates: 16gFiber: 4gSugar: 8gProtein: 3g
Have you tried my homemade spaghettios? So good!