You guys – this delicata squash pasta sauce is money!
I had none of those ingredients!
But I did have delicata squash – duh! If you’ve followed me for any length of time, you know my love of delicata squash is deep.
What is Delicata Squash?
I love that delicata squash is sometimes referred to as the lazy person’s squash, because the skin is edible and you don’t have to peel it like butternut squash.
How do you roast it?
If you have an air fryer, simply cut in half (seeds and all) and cook for 20 minutes at 400 degrees. Once cooled, you can slice in half and easily remove the seeds. I’ve used delicata squash to make delicata wonton soup, delicata hush puppies, and even delicata squash twice baked potatoes.
- 1 large delicata squash, roasted
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 2 tbsp whipped cream cheese
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
- Cut the delicata squash in half. Put in air fryer (or oven) at 400 degrees for 20 minutes, or until fork tender. Cool slightly, remove seeds.
- In a blender, add the squash, chicken broth, almond milk, garlic, ricotta cheese, whipped cream cheese, Italian seasoning and crushed red pepper.
- Because we still have the skin on the squash, blend the sauce for at least 3 minutes. There is sodium in the chicken broth, so I season to taste with salt and pepper at the end.
This made 3 cups of sauce. I used 1/2 cup of sauce to coat 1 cup of cooked pasta.
On my WW plan, it's 2 points per 1/2 cup. Click this link to see the points for your WW plan.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 59Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 4mgSodium: 240mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 4g
As soon as I made the pasta dish, I immediately thought of macaroni and cheese. Yesterday for lunch I made a mini baked macaroni and cheese. One cup cooked pasta, 1/2 cup delicata pasta sauce, 1 ounce good cheddar cheese. Mixed that together and topped with a tablespoon of bread crumbs and baked in my air fryer at 400 for 10 minutes.
Can you use dishes in an airfryer?
Yep! Think of your air fryer as a mini oven – whatever is oven safe is air fryer safe.
Pinky swear you can convince your family with either the pasta sauce or the mac n cheese. Both are amazing and I am saving my delicata squash seeds to grow my own next spring.
I think my daughter Hannah and son-in-law Jacob are happy to have their own place to live now. If for nothing else not to be subjected to my love affair with delicata squash. I am not sure I have convinced my twin sister either. That’s okay – more for me!