Before I say anything else, I want to thank everyone who commented on Monday’s post, sent me a text, email, instant message on Facebook, etc. It means more to me than you’ll ever know, and while I’ve read all the comments, I haven’t had time to respond to them yet, but will in the next day or so. THANK YOU for having my back. And if that post just helped one person set the wine glass aside for even a day, I will have considered that post a success.
I have to be honest, it wasn’t as hard as I thought it was going to be to give up my beloved wine. But like most things: deciding to hit up the gym three times a week, drink more water, quit smoking – whatever it is – if you truly put your mind to it, it is amazing what you can achieve. I have such exciting news for you guys, but I can’t spill the beans yet on that one, other to know that the shear thought of what may come has me smiling from ear to ear. Promise – you’ll know next week! How’s that for some bait?!
So I dove in both feet with the new WW plan. I love the website, but what I am loving more is the app! You guys all know what an app whore I am! You can scan products, which is perfect if you are just about to pour some dressing on a salad, scan the bar code and enter it into your meal plan. Easy! Although I realized I do something, that’s not even conscious, but a behavior that needs to stop. If I wake up in the middle of the night with low blood sugar, it’s been my instinct to hit up the most sugary thing first – whether it’s marshmallows in the pantry, part of a chocolate bar. Monday night I woke up at 12:30 and my blood sugar was 69. Rat farts. The kids have a grab and go snack drawer in the pantry for when they go to school – it has individually packed crackers, cookies, etc. Instinctively I opened up a Grandma’s cookies that had 140 calories and figured I’d scan it the next day. My thought was at most it would have been 4 points. Nope! 7! Because of the grams of sugar. So I started Monday off with a deficit of 7 points, but I still made it work.
Tuesday night I woke up at 2:40 a.m. with a blood sugar of 49 – what the what?! But I knew I had fresh cut fruit in the fridge and ate that – Zero points! I think I am going to reduce my overnight insulin and see if that happens with my low blood sugars at night. Thankfully I always wake myself up!
I could have easily used some of my flex points for the cookies I ate, but being that Monday is the beginning of my WW week, I didn’t want to dip into them already that soon. So what have I been eating?
- Skinny Meatball Sub! I used two slices of Aldi light bread (2), 1/4 cup of baby spinach, 1/3 cup jarred pizza sauce (1), 4 ounces of sirloin that I made into 12 mini meatballs – just seasoned with salt, pepper and crushed red pepper (4) and 1/2 tablespoon shredded Parmesan (1 point) and a sliced Fuji apple for dessert. 8 Smart Points for that lunch.
- Look at this cute individually packed mozzarella cheese I found at the Fresh Market. Six packets for $3.99 – a splurge, but I can’t help loving tiny food like that! 2 SP per package.
- Scrambled egg (2) and egg white (1) on top of baby spinach (0) points, 1/2 tablespoon Annie’s goddess dressing (1) and 3 ounces of sirloin steak on the side (3) topped with 1/2 tablespoon shredded Parmesan (1) – 8 SP breakfast
- 4 ounce ground sirloin burger (5) over sauteed cabbage and sauerkraut (0), with a tablespoon of BBQ sauce on top (1) and 1 tablespoon French fried onions (1) : 7 SP dinner
- Over the weekend I baked up a few bone in chicken breasts. Even though I am not eating the skin (best part tho!) always cook poultry with the skin on – it will be so tender that way. I baked them at 350 for 30 minutes, then let them cool before individually wrapping them. After I peeled the skin off and pulled the chicken off, I had 5 ounces of chicken (3), the cheese (2), cucs and carrots (0) and 2 ounces of tzatziki sauce (1 point) I buy my tzatziki sauce at my deli – they sell the gyros meat, but I only buy the containers, and for some reason they just put four in a bag and I never get charged for them! Super filling 6 SP lunch.
- More Aldi bread! Two slices (2) toasted and topped with baby spinach (0), egg whites (1), 1.5 ounces of shaved deli ham (1) and 1/2 ounce of cheddar cheese (2) with fruit. Another 6 SP breakfast that was super filling.
I’ve decided I need to utilize my crock pot more often on the nights I hit the gym after work. It’s so nice walking in the door at 7 p.m. knowing that dinner is done! Yesterday morning I put this chili in the crock pot – basically with what I had on hand and using my puree of veggies method for my buffalo chicken chili. When I got home from work, I measured it out, and I ended up with 8 1-cup servings at 5 WW points each. Nice!
I topped mine with 1/2 ounce reduced fat Cabot cheese and sliced jalapeno, with a serving of tortilla chips on the side for dipping – so the chili was 5 points and the chips and cheese was another 5 points, so 10 points altogether.
Still killing it at the gym and walking. I do strength training 3 times a week, and am averaging about 15k steps a day. I noticed yesterday that I didn’t drink much water, so I need to see where the water app is on the WW app – I am sure it’s there, I just haven’t found it yet.
So I hope you are having a good week so far – still can’t believe we are in February already, but I love leaving the office and it’s light outside – that much closer to spring and day light savings! Make it a great day!