I am a carnivore through and through but I love these black bean burgers. This black bean burger recipe will be your go to for Meatless Monday!
The secret to these burgers is freezing the patties for 20 minutes before hitting the grill so they don’t fall apart when you try to flip them.
Black Bean Burger Calories
My black bean burger from scratch come in at 154 calories, 3 fat, 25 carbs, 6 fiber and 8 protein. Because the burgers are so low in points, be sure to use a good quality hamburger bun. As long as your oats are gluten free, these burgers are gluten free on their own.
Ingredients to Make Black Bean Burgers
- canned black beans – make sure to drain them well!
- red pepper – you can use jarred roasted red peppers too
- garlic – I prefer whole and chop it myself, but you can use jarred garlic
- seasonings – steakhouse seasoning, chili powder, ketchup and mustard
The best way to press these burgers is in a wide mouth jar lid. Simply lay saran wrap on the bottom, add the bean mixture, and use the lid to press the patty into shape.
Black Bean Burgers
These black bean burgers are a nice change to beef. The secret is freezing the patties before hitting the grill - they will stay together perfectly.
- 1 cup black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup red pepper, diced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon steakhouse seasoning (I used Dak's)
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 1 teaspoon ketchup
- 1/4 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup oats
- 2 teaspoons mild giardiniera
- In a skillet, saute the red pepper and garlic for five minutes over medium heat. Set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, add the remaining ingredients and mix until combined. Add in the pepper/garlic mixture.
- Divide patties into four.
- Using a wide mouth mason jar, press the patties and place on a plate and freeze for 20 minutes before grilling.
- Grill for five minutes a side.
On my WW plan, each burger is 1 point. Click this link to see what they would be on your WW plan.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 154Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 47mgSodium: 1254mgCarbohydrates: 25gFiber: 6gSugar: 2gProtein: 8g
Can you make black bean burgers ahead of time?
Absolutely! You could make these and store them in the refrigerator for up to a week, then freeze 20 minutes prior to grilling. You could also freeze these burgers on a baking sheet for 30 minutes, then store them in a ziptop bag and you can pull out however many you need to cook. The cooking time will be about 7 minutes a side.
If want another alternative to beef burgers, try out my turkey burger sliders.
Let me know if you try these!
Meal prepped these a week or so ago, and just had my 1st one for lunch today. Very good, and it held its shape perfectly. I pan-fried mine, rather than using the grill. Next time I may try cooking it on my George Foreman.
True confession: I incorrectly read the ingredient as 1 CAN of drained beans rather than 1 CUP. Oops! Still good, but next time around I’ll try to get it right. 😁
Thanks for another yummy recipe!
Yeah! So happy you liked them 😀