I realized I needed to use up some of the leftover pork roast from Labor Day, and what better use than to make breakfast taquitos!  Pretty sure I could eat any type of Mexican food any day or meal of the week and never get sick of it.  I used 3 Mission thin tortillas (4) and on the inside added 3 ounces of leftover pork roast (3), egg whites and broccoli slaw scramble (1) and 1/2 ounce of Cabot cheese.  And taquitos have to be crunchy, so I pan fried them in 1 teaspoon of grapeseed oil (1).  On the side trying to photo bomb the taquitos was a cup of tangerines – I got 15 tangerines off my stores $1 rack #score!


You will note that ever since Hannah and Jacob moved in, there is always some type of onion in the house.  So the green onion is just a garnish for a pop of color, and then I quickly pushed them to the side.

I had plenty of time to get a walk/run in yesterday too – although it was still hot out.  When I got back I already had 6,000 steps for the day.  I am still trying to figure out the eating when I work my 3:30-10:30 shift.  I packed a lunch of a turkey wrap on a lavash wrap (4) with watermelon and more tangerines and not pictured is a serving of everything pretzel thins (3).  I ate the pretzel thins and the turkey wrap in the car on the way to work around 3:00 p.m. 


That actually held me for quite a while.  But I have to tell you – time literally flies by when I am at work.  Other than looking at my phone to make sure the time line is going smoothly, I have no idea what time it is, and I don’t even care.  I cannot tell you how many times I sat at my desk job, looked at the clock only to see it was 9:45 a.m., then looking back at the clock 10 minutes later thinking “it’s not even 10 a.m.!”   It stormed early yesterday morning by me and was cloudy, but by the time I got to Chicago, it was blue skies.



I worked a small private party last night of 8 people.  I love this room.  Long time readers may remember that I had my photo shoot in this exact same room nearly three years ago for an article that was published in Health Monitor Magazine.

head shot

I am still in training and work with a really great girl, and I love the head Chef that was working the party.  I have to say, everyone I’ve met and worked with so far is . . . humble.  And kind.  And caring.  Love. 


They call this room the “fish bowl” because everyone who passes by in the Merchandise Mart looks down into the room to see what’s going on.  I remember when I was getting my hair and makeup done for my photo shoot, people stopped and looked down and were thinking “is that someone famous I should know?”  It’s amazing how full circle it is that I am now working in this exact same room.

Last nights theme was the Chicago Neighborhood tour:  bacon wrapped dates and white bean bruschetta for apps, then the students prepared beef and broccoli lo mein, chicken fajitas, perogies, a Greek shrimp dish and chocolate and pistachio cannoli.  Here are just a few pics that I took:

PicMonkey Collage

Because it’s a private party, the customer pays for all the food and we provided to go containers for anyone who wanted them.  There was some chicken fajita leftover, so I ate a few pieces of the chicken and pulled out my watermelon and tangerines and ate that as a late snack.  I had to laugh because our head Chef is a vegetarian, and when she made a leftover taco, it was mostly onions – ew!


And after the guests leave it’s a whirlwind of activity and everyone pitches in to make the place spotless for the next day.  I love how strict the standards are here – it’s quite possibly one of the best kept kitchens I’ve ever worked in.  Everything in the walk in is labeled and dated.  The floors in the kitchen are so clean.  And before I knew it, it was time to head home.


I love how pretty Chicago looks at night.  It took me an hour to drive home, and you’d think I’d be super tired, but I wasn’t.  I was still a bit hungry too, so I made a quick picky plate.  Two ounces of shrimp cocktail (1) six Triscuits (3) with a tablespoon of pimento cheese (3) and some strawberries while I watched America’s Got Talent to see who made it to the finals.


This morning I finally dropped my car off to be repaired.   The repair place that State Farm recommended is a busy place and they finally had room for me today.  I’ll have it back next week.  In the meantime, I’ll be sporting this Volkswagon Jetta.  Not sure if I’ve ever driven a Volkswagon before, but I like it – lots of leg room! 


It’s going to be a busy couple of days for me.  I work tonight, then have to double back tomorrow morning for an all day shift.  Then early to bed Friday night because Saturday is going to be my last market day.  I thought I was done, but one of the people the owner hired didn’t work out, so I told him I’d help him out.  But I am off Sunday again, so that will be nice!

I will probably only blog tomorrow to let you guys know who won my 8 blog anniversary giveaway!   Still have time to leave a comment for a chance to win

I hope you have a great day!