I think the only thing that can surpass Hannah’s love of Starbuck’s is her simultaneous love of both Wal-Mart and Target.  Whenever she wants to go to either of those places and asks Jacob or I to go with her, our question to her is “are you only picking up a couple things or walking around the whole store?”  Because she loves to spend a minimum of two hours at each store!

She called me at work yesterday telling me she bought me something from Target.  I told her she shouldn’t spend her money on me, but she said as soon as she saw it, it screamed me, and well, she just had to buy it.  So when I got home yesterday, this is what I was presented with:

1.19.16 087

PIZZA PAJAMAS!  Omg, I absolutely love them.  They aren’t too thin, or too heavy.  I told her if I could I would wear them to work today.  Oh, and Jacob bought me a new pair of slippers because someone (ahem, Roman!) ate through my other pair of slippers!   I will most likely have these jammies on within five minutes of coming in the door each day.  Thanks Hannah!


Like I am sure most of you do, I meal plan using my stores sale flyer.  If chicken breasts aren’t on sale, I am not having chicken breasts that week.  And while I’ve stated before that I am no longer a short order cook for dinner, the truth is, my home cooked dinner is about the healthiest thing the kadults eat during the day.  They both are a grab and go kind of breakfast person – bowl of cereal, bagel and cream cheese, etc.  Lunch?  Usually eaten out – tacos, Burger King, etc.  So while I could be selfish and just make whatever I want (chicken tikka masala!) I am taking into consideration their likes and dislikes.  Jacob is easy, because even if he doesn’t like something he’ll eat it.  Like pizza – he’s not a big fan, but he’ll eat it come Party Pizza Friday!

So when I saw boneless short ribs were on sale for $3.99 a pound I knew I would be making something with short ribs.  I knew the meat would be tender, so that was a plus for Hannah.  I knew she’d like the vegetables and gravy, and I knew she’d love the creamy polenta too, so I threw caution to the wind and made Mario Batali’s short ribs.  Except I modified the recipe to serve a normal amount of people and decided to serve it over cheezy polenta.

1.17.16WE 065

1.17.16WE 067

1.19.16 004

1.19.16 013

This made six servings.  I wish the last picture was better and did it more justice, because this is comfort food at it’s finest.  The meat was so tender (although I did have to chop up Hannah’s so fine that you’d think I was feeding a baby that didn’t have any teeth yet) but we all gave this two giant thumbs up.  And don’t skip the gremolata – the lemon and horseradish kicks made this dish for me.

I knew if nothing else, Hannah would eat bread.  I made up a batch of Artisan Bread in 5 minutes over the weekend and only used 1/4 of the dough to make this loaf.

1.19.16 002

I stuck the rest of the dough in the fridge and last night Hannah said she felt like macaroni and cheese, so I made mac n cheese using unsweetened almond milk and light Cabot cheese and added in some chopped broccoli.  I saw the dough and told Hannah I thought I’d make another small loaf of bread and she said “why not make a giant loaf?!”  Um, that would be cheddar cheese on top.

1.19.16 101

I am pretty sure Hannah’s favorite food is carbs.  I ate 1/2 of once slice of bread (although I could have eaten half that loaf!) and one cup of the macaroni and cheese.

1.19.16 108


I am happy to say our temps are on the rise – the last couple days have been pretty brutal, although it’s to be expected for January Chicago weather.

1.19.16 021

The highs over the weekend are going to be in the upper 30s, so pretty sure I’ll be pulling out my shorts. Open-mouthed smile


So excited that I finally booked our tickets to Austin!  Cannot wait to spend time with my brother and his family and my step-son and DIL.  Shelley, I’ll get in touch with you soon to see what day works best for you to meet for lunch – can’t wait to finally meet you in person after all these years!   So proud of your amazing race in Houston last weekend!


Time to get this show on the road – but I’ll leave you with this.  I saw this on Instagram yesterday and thought it was worth a share.  Life is 10% of what happens to us, but the other 90% is how we handle that 10%. Make it a great day!