So yesterday before work I had my full body scan at the dermatologist.   It was intimidating laying there naked while a woman had a light powered magnifying glass went up and down my body, front and back about an inch away from it.

I had to laugh though as she was going over my stomach – you can obviously see my insulin injections – sometimes they bruise, my stomach is like a pincushion!  She stopped and looked at me and said “do you use drugs?”  I reminded her that I was insulin dependent diabetic, and she laughed and apologized for coming to that conclusion.

Twenty minutes later, all was well and I just have to go once a year for a check up.  However, she did look at the mole on my face that came back pre-cancerous and was like “you haven’t taken care of that yet?”  So I have an appointment next week with a plastic surgeon. Open-mouthed smile

Since I wasn’t sure how long it would take, I never brought a breakfast so Subway it was – their egg white with veggies and lots of hot sauce – the perfect way to start the day is with hot sauce! Devil


I’ve still been super busy at work – woop!  I brought the rest of the Lasagna Soup for my lunch – I think it tastes better the longer it sits.


When I left the office it was cloudy and 75.  Traffic sucked, it took me nearly an hour to get home and by the time I pulled into the driveway it was 60 degrees – a 15 degree drop!  I love it though – although its too cold for Tony so we had to close the windows, I am just happy we don’t have to run the air!

Last weekend when I was cleaning out the freezer, I discovered I had three separate pork parts – half of a roast and two pork chops.  I decided to make a pork ragu, and last night was the perfect crisp night to have it.

Rustic Pork Ragu

  • 2 lbs pork (any cut, shoulder, tenderloin)
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 1/4 cup tomato paste
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 cup dry red wine
  • 2 cans (796mL each) Italian plum tomatoes, crushed
  • Cooked pasta or polenta (for serving)
  • Shredded Parmesan cheese (for garnish)


  1. Using a sharp knife, cut away most of the fatty layer on the top of the roast and discard, leaving just a very thin layer of fat behind. Pat the meat dry, and season generously with salt and pepper on all sides.
  2. In a large heavy-bottomed Dutch oven, heat the oil over medium heat. Sear the pork for 3 to 4 minutes per side, or until evenly browned all over. Transfer to a platter and set aside.
  3. Preheat oven to 250F.
  4. While the oven preheats, add tomato paste to pot and cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes. Add garlic and continue cooking for 1-2 minutes, or until fragrant.
  5. Stir in the red wine, scraping up any browned bits that might be left on the bottom of the pan, then add the crushed tomatoes and their juice. Return the pork to the pot. Increase the heat to high, and bring the mixture to a boil.
  6. Cover the pot, and transfer to preheated oven to cook for 3 hours, or until the meat is very tender and falling apart.
  7. Transfer the pork to a cutting board and let cool for 5 minutes. Once cool enough to handle, shred the pork into bite sized pieces using two forks. Discard the bone and any gristly bits, and return the shredded pork to the pot.
  8. To serve, ladle the ragu onto hot pasta or polenta, and top with Parmesan cheese if desired.

Here is how the pork looked after 3 hours – while it seems intact, a couple pulls with two forks and it just shredded right away.

bday 022

My plate – 1 cup of pasta with 1 cup chopped baby spinach and 3/4 cup of the pork ragu – a sprinkling of Parmesan cheese, and after the pic was taken, a sprinkling of crushed red pepper.

5k 027

So last night when I got home from work, Tony was concerned about me doing the 5k today, and I don’t blame him.  Up until Wednesday I was still hacking up a lung.  But with more prednizone and taking the cough syrup, pills and inhaler, I did a dry run on the treadmill at lunch yesterday and walking/jogging it, I did a 5k in 42 minutes.  I didn’t cough too much so I thought, worse case scenario – I could walk the whole thing.

Guess who came with me???!! 


That’s his “why the fuck am I up at 6:15 again?”  Seriously though, he didn’t want me to do this alone and I appreciate him coming with me – thanks for being my cheerleader Tony!

The weather couldn’t have been better – 51 degrees and sunny!



food tent

It was one big loop around the Sears Center in Hoffman Estates.  The roads were blocked off, so there was no traffic which was nice.  I used to work at the Sears corporate headquarters there, and I used to walk the paths at lunch time.

finish line

The start and the finish was through the archway.  We got chips for our ankles.  See that girl with her hair up and her left hand touching her hair?  Half way through she totally puked all over the place – my guess is maybe she stayed out too late last night?

I felt good – there were a few hills I had to walk up and I couldn’t run the whole thing.  Part of me was scared to push it too hard because I thought I might have a coughing fit.   My unofficial time was 40:44, and I’ll take it considering today was only the second time I worked out in nearly a month.


Look at the look of determination!!  Ha!  Seriously though, it was a fun time, I felt good and this is just what I needed to start back to a healthy lifestyle.  I have to come clean with you guys.  This summer I’ve indulged a bit too much in cheese, crackers, wine, etc.  The workouts obviously haven’t been where they should be, but I can’t really help that because I was sick.

The problem is that when I work out I don’t want to eat like shit because I think “do you just want to undo your 50 minute workout with shitty food?  The answer is almost always no.  So here’s where I am at . . .

bday 042

Yep – its not pretty, but its out there and I have to own it.  The only way I can go is down, right?! 

Thanks for your continued support as I try to once again get to a healthy weight.  It’s been a roller coaster hasn’t it?!

Alright, I have one last roof repair to do, then grocery shop and then . . . RELAX!

Hope you have a great weekend, and I’ll “see” you on Monday!