Marianne picked Coconut for this weeks BSI ingredient. I can’t remember the last time I even used my coconut – so it was time I pulled it out!
I tweaked an Eating Well muffin recipe for what I had on hand.
Cranberry Almond Coconut Muffins
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/2 cup sugar free brown sugar
- 1 3/4 cup bread flour
- 5 tablespoons smoked almonds, chopped fine, divided
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup fat free half and half
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2/3 cup Craisins
Preheat oven to 450. Combine 2 tablespoons flour, 2 tablespoons sugar free brown sugar, and 2 tablespoons chopped almonds in a small bowl. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon oil, mix and set aside.
Whisk 1 3/4 flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a medium bowl. Whisk the remaining 1/2 cup sugar free brown sugar, egg, egg white, buttermilk, half and half and butter and mix well. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add wet ingredients and stir until just combined.
Add cranberries and remaining almonds and divide into 12 muffins. Sprinkle the reserved coconut topping and gently press into batter. Bake the muffinsn until golden brown, about 20 minutes. Let sit 10 minutes and remove.
This was the brown sugar that I used – Tony couldn’t tell this was a sugar free muffin!!
I had one with my breakfast, with 1 scrambled egg, and two ounces of steak.
Since I didn’t eat breakfast until 11:00, I didn’t have lunch. I spent the afternoon at one of the twins house, and she had chips, salsa and this great veggie tray!
So I got home to put together my grand-nephews Easter basket. We hid it in our wood burning stove – curious how long it will take him to find it tomorrow!
Just finishing up some side dishes tonight. I am going to be doing our ham on the gas grill, and the lamb in the oven.
- Rum and Coke Baked Ham (thanks Cathy for this recipe!)
- Roast Sirloin End of Leg of Lamb with Mustard Coat Au Jus
- Green Bean Casserole
- Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- Classic Mac N Cheese
- Cauliflower Bacon Au Gratin
- Butter Pecan Glazed Carrots
- Spinach Salad with Bacon Dressing
- Cheese Bread
- Shrimp Cocktail (appetizer)
- Cheese and Cracker Tray (appetizer)
Off to relax. Still nervous about the lamb, but fingers crossed that it turns out okay! Hope everyone had a great Saturday and I’ll see you tomorrow!