While we had a freak thunderstorm that lasted about 20 minutes yesterday afternoon, the rest of the day was gorgeous!
We I woke up so late yesterday, there was no need for breakfast considering it was almost lunch time. We hit up a place, and the only reason I am mentioning it is so that no one else goes there. It’s in Crystal Lake on the corner of Main and Route 14. Don’t even pull into the parking lot!
Tony and I then went to the store to get stuff for Meatfest 2010. First of all, I am pretty sure I would not even be let into our neighbors front door without my baja fresh salsa. I am sure you are sick of seeing it, but it is a summer staple!
After that was one, I started on an appetizer that only me and our neighbor Brett would eat. It works out perfect because me and Brett like spicy, and Tony and Amy don’t. I used a grapefruit spoon to scoop out the seeds:
Then it was time to make my two barbecue sauces. I failed to get a good picture of either one. First up was my North Carolina Mustard BBQ sauce – the only difference I did this time was to add 1 tablespoon of dry mustard. Then a classic BBQ sauce. We cooked two slabs of ribs in the oven at 225 for about three hours, then finished them off on the grill at the neighbors.
I also made this carrot cake. I didn’t have any good pictures of it either – other than this one before I frosted it. This carrot cake is like crack it is so moist and delicious. Um, maybe its the 1 1/2 cups of oil in the batter?
Garlic Cheddar Biscuits (printer friendly version here)
Makes 10 servings (each biscuit: 196 calories, 11 fat, 18 carbs, 1.6 fiber and5.8 protein)
|1 3/4||cups flour|
|2||teaspoons baking powder|
|1/2||teaspoon baking soda|
|6||tablespoons butter, cold|
|1||cup cheddar cheese|
|1||tablespoon minced garlic|
|1/2||teaspoon garlic powder|
- Preheat oven to 450. Put flour, baking powder, baking soda adn salt in food processor. Add butter and pulse until it starts to crumb. Add buttermilk and pulse just until the dough comes together.
- Add remaining ingredients and pulse until cheese is combined. Drop on baking sheet and bake for 12 to 15 minutes.
I added the baked beans to my plate after this picture was taken. So while my dinner plate wasn’t bad, I ate too many cheese and crackers and chips and salsa. Next time we get together we decided we were going to do a tapas menu – just small plates since we nearly filled up on the appetizers alone!
Then we played cards for a couple hours – lets just say me and Amy dominated the men!
Hannah and I went out to breakfast this morning, then to the grocery store, which is why this post is so late. Great grocery shop!
- blueberry lemon pancakes with turkey sausage
- south of the border frittata
- open faced omelet with arugala salad
- zucchini scrambled eggs with goat cheese and whole wheat toast, fruit
- green monster ?? (I am probably the last food blogger to try this, but I am scared!)
- grilled chicken caesar salad
- turkey wrap with red pepper apple salad
- chili baked potato
- leftover zucchini parmesan
- moo shu pork in lettuce wraps
- braised pork chops with lemon thyme sauce over egg noodles with green beans
- zucchini and penne pasta parmesan casserole
- baked fish and chips
- rosemary chicken with parmesan zucchini ribbons and garlic mashed potatoes
- chili mac three ways (using my Best Buffalo Chicken Chili recipe)
- potato and bacon pizza with pecorino cheese and fresh parsley
I am still waiting on a few emails, so I’ll do my 101 days of summer update tomorrow. Enjoy your Sunday!