Yesterday I was rehashing my melt down of Thursday night. And I suddenly came to realize, that I need to step back, take stock of my life, and think about all the good things going on in my life right now.
- Tony is home! That is first and foremost. I think he’s gotten more sleep in the last two days than he has in the eight days before. He meets with his GP next week to discuss his medications going forward.
- I have gotten so many DVDs for the pay it forward DVD drive for the pediatric unit at the hospital Tony stayed at. Not only that, I have gotten $170 in cash through paypal to buy DVDs, and with my donation, I am confident we’ll be able to donate 50 new DVDs to the pediatric unit! How fricken cool is that. Your generosity is overwhelming!
- I got a $25 Starbuck’s gift card from blogger and reader Heather – she lives in Kuwait and wanted me to be able to pick up coffee to and from the hospital – she actually sent it through Facebook – didn’t even know you could do that – thank you Heather!
- Yesterday I also got a gift from blog reader Carol – she sent a cute note saying that she appreciates my blog and inspiration – Carol, how the hell did you know I like hot sauce??!!
- Blogger and reader Michelle sent me some loot last week that I hadn’t had time to mention yet – and Michelle, how did you know I like snowmen??!!
DVD Loot So Far . . .
Loot from Carol – cannot wait to try making my own hot sauce!!!
Loot from Michelle – thank you! (and I may see how long I can keep the snowman night light on in the bathroom!
So I just want to thank you for standing by me – through my pissy moods and all – and because of you I am a better person. I AM BLESSED!
I got half way to work yesterday, only to realize I left my breakfast on the kitchen counter. Gah! I don’t have that many options to stop on my way to work, so I had a Subway flatbread.
Yep, I realize that is not on the 21 day detox, but I am on the fence about continuing it. When I started getting serious with exercise and nutrition back in June of 2013, I told myself that nothing was off-limits and that an occasional treat was just fine. I could have a couple slices of pizza and move on. I have to say though, that I miss carbs, and what they do for my body. My blood sugar has been all over the map this last week too. So sadly Peggy, I think next week I am going to incorporate some lower carb lunches, but sprinkle in healthy complex carbs next week. I feel like I let you down, but I have to do what’s right for me. For some reason if you tell me I can’t eat something, that only makes me want it more vs. when I CAN eat something and choose not to, I feel like I am more in control of the food – does that make any sense to anyone?!
I did have a #21 day detox lunch though – stuffed peppers! I sautéed 3 ounces of Italian sausage, 2 ounces of chicken breasts with 1 cup baby spinach and 3/4 cup of my roasted vegetable marinara sauce. After they were stuffed, each half got 4 slices of pepperoni, and 1/2 ounce of Asiago cheese and I reheated them in our toaster oven at work. Delish!
I had to do an office run for work and stopped by Target to pick up my co-worker some pizza at Pizza hut there. After the Target scandal, I only pay with cash there. I am a sucker for their discount end racks, so I checked it out – I came this close to buying this coffee, but I put it back – has anyone tried it??!
Our weather was so crazy this week – how does it start off at –20 degrees on Monday and end up at 40 degrees by Friday? With the higher temps came rain, and then once the temps started to get towards freezing, the roads were really slick. I knew that would put a damper on the restaurant covers last night. As luck would have it, I got an 8 top of 4 really fun couples – they were all in their early to mid-60s and immediately I could tell that they could get my sense of humor. Once they sat down one of the gentlemen said “did you know that we are going to be your special guests for the evening?” to which I said “well that works out well because I am going to be your special server. Although when my husband refers to me as “special” he also mentions that I am “short bus” special. That just cracked them up and that set the tone for the evening.
Sadly, it was my one and only table – but I was home by 10:00 so I can’t beat that with a stick! We had a burger special that the Chef was trying out that will most likely be a lunch regular – a 10 ounce lamb burger that is ground fresh in-house, with homemade tzatziki sauce and rosemary sea salt fries. This picture really doesn’t do it very much justice!
And we also had a special pasta last night – the porcini mushroom pasta “purses” – mushroom filled pasta served over a spicy arrabiatta sauce. Like Jacky, I am not the biggest fan of mushrooms, but this dish looks delicious to me!
We had a lazy morning, then I got a burst of energy cleaning the kitchen. Now Tony and I are going to watch a movie before his first football game comes on this afternoon. I plan on doing Insanity this afternoon and I have to get my eyebrows threaded today – they are starting to look like caterpillars! Then tomorrow is operation get organized – a bit delayed with Tony being in the hospital, but case in point – I have a drawer next to the computer desk that has bills and papers from 2009 – time to purge and shred some papers! My step-son bought me a paper shredded several years ago and I absolutely love it.
What’s on tap for your weekend? Have a great one – and I’ll see you Monday with my first WI of 2014. Hugs!