I think this is in the top ten list of Tony’s favorite dinners, and growing up may have had a version of this at least once a week. I just don’t think to make it that often! I am using the leftover flank steak from our dinner on Saturday – our leftovers weighed in at just under 1 pound!
2 teaspoons plus 1 tablespoon canola oil, divided
1 pound flank steak, trimmed
4 large portobello mushrooms, stemmed, halved and thinly sliced
1 large onion, sliced
3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 14-ounce can reduced-sodium beef broth
2 tablespoons cognac or brandy
1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
4 tablespoons chopped fresh chives or parsley
1. Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large skillet over high heat until shimmering but not smoking. Add steak and cook until browned on both sides, 3 to 4 minutes per side. (The meat will be rare, but will continue to cook as it rests.) Transfer to a cutting board and let rest for 5 minutes. Cut lengthwise into 2 long pieces then crosswise, across the grain, into 1/4-inch-thick slices.
2. Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon oil in the pan over medium heat. Add mushrooms, onion, thyme, salt and pepper and cook, stirring often, until the vegetables are very tender and lightly browned, 8 to 12 minutes. Sprinkle flour over the vegetables; stir to coat. Stir in broth, cognac (or brandy) and vinegar and bring to a boil, stirring often. Reduce heat to a simmer, and continue cooking, stirring often, until the mixture is thickened, about 3 minutes. Stir in sour cream, chives (or parsley), the sliced steak and any accumulated juices. Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring, until heated through, 1 to 2 minutes more.
NUTRITION INFORMATION 4 servings, each serving is 1.5 cups (without noodles):
- 404 calories;
- 19 g fat (7 g sat, 8 g mono);
- 14 g carbohydrate;
- 37 g protein;
- 2 g fiber;
- 426 mg sodium;
- 969 mg potassium.
Nutrition bonus: Selenium & Zinc (43% daily value), Potassium (28% dv), Iron (17% dv).
I deconstructed my serving: 4 ounces cooked egg noodles, 3 ounces of flank steak, 1/4 cup of the mushroom sauce and one roll (forgot to take a pic!)
After dinner Hannah and I took a walk with the dog – we ended up going for 40 minutes!
Before I post the pictures Hannah took, I have a confession to make. When I walk the dog, I take a plastic bag with me. You know, to pick up Ed’s poop along the way! Well, where we live, I take him to places that are more “woodsy” and not in any-ones walking path, but just in case anyone is watching, I pick up debris “around” his poop, cover the poop, and then it looks like I am a model citizen! This is what my bag looks like when I get home!
Okay, I feel better now that I have confessed! Hannah took these pictures, one of which cracks me up every time I look at it!
Now Hannah calls this one: Shattered Dreams
Stats for the Day:
- 1438 calories
- 47 fat
- 157 carbs
- 29% of calories from fat
- 28% of calories from protein
- 43% of calories from carbs
- 30 minute bike ride
- 20 minute Level 3 shred
- 15 minute run/walk
- 40 minute walk with Hannah and Ed
Off to snuggle with Tony – see you tomorrow!