Thanks for all your well wishes yesterday!  For some reason I can read your comments and blogs, but can’t comment on a lot of them for some reason – weird!

We had to be at the hospital at 7:15 for his 8:30 surgery.  They took Tony in first and said they would come get me in a few minutes once he was in his pre-op room.  A few minutes later his doctor walked by, came over and said that he had an emergency surgery so Tony’s surgery would be bumped for a couple hours.

Tony has had so many surgeries.  For obvious reasons he gets really anxious and nervous before surgery, and the delay just meant he had that much longer to think about it.  My SIL and I tried to distract him while watching The Price is Right. šŸ˜€  This picture was taken with my blackberry.

Finally at 11:00 the wheeled him into surgery.  We were told its a 2 hour surgery – not bad!  I was starving at this point because all I had eaten was a granola bar.  I brought beef stew, but it was still in the car, so my SIL went to the cafeteria.  We love the fact that everything had the calories marked!

I had a cup of 7 bean soup – with the addition of Tabasco it was pretty good.  The only thing is they don’t tell you the serving size – but the stats were 120 calories, 5 fat, 29 carbs, 4 fiber and 9 protein.

I got some fresh fruit on the side with a giant water – you can’t beat hospital prices, lunch cost $2.40!

My SIL just started working at this hospital as a volunteer.  We wandered into the gift shop because they had all their Christmas decorations displayed.  So many snowmen!  I really liked this spoon though:

We went back to the waiting room, and at about 1:00 a volunteer told us that the doctor was just closing him up and would be out in 15 minutes.  15 minutes seemed to be the theme of the day – every time we asked what was going on, or when he would be done, or when he’d be moved to a room the answer was “15 minutes.”

After 45 minutes though the volunteer came back and said that the doctor ended up having to open Tony up and not able to do it laproscopically (sp?).  Rats.  So that meant another 2 hours of surgery.

My SIL and I snacked on complimentary coffee and had some goldfish – this individual package was only 3 points – not bad!

Finally around 3:00 the doctor came out.  He could not be happier with the results!  He said the hernia was so big there was no way he could have done it any other way, and actually ended up closing Tony with a tummy tuck!  Sadly, the don’t let anyone back in recovery unless they are kept back there really long waiting for a room to open up.

While waiting we decided to go get something to eat because I knew once Tony got to his room I didn’t want to leave him.  They were still setting up for dinner, so I ended up getting a premade sandwich:

At first glance I didn’t think 370 calories for a sandwich was too bad – it had 3 slices of salami, 2 slices of cheese, baby spinach and roasted red peppers.  No oil was used on the panani press either.  So imagine my surprise when I ran those numbers in the points calculator and it was the sandwich was 18 points!  I still don’t think that is right.  Oh well!

Tony always needs to see my face so that he knows everything went okay, and I was disappointed I wasn’t there right when he woke up.  But once in his room, and after the nurses did their usual run down and left us alone, he fell fast asleep.  We joke that I am the sleep whisperer.  He just knows if I am there all is well and he can sleep.

I ended up staying until around 9.  I was so tired – its amazing how just sitting and waiting can be so tiring!

Hannah was home, I texted her I was on my way and she asked if I wanted her to make me anything to eat.  I said no thanks.  When I turned the corner to our house I saw lights on my deck, and Christmas lights inside – so happy she started decorating!  It doesn’t feel like Christmas to me if there are no decorations!

We talked, laughed, watched Lady Gaga vidoes on you tube, and by 10:45 I was spent so I went to bed.

Our poor dog – he has no idea what to do when Tony isn’t here because Tony is always with Ed all day.  Right when I went to bed we couldn’t find Ed anywhere.  Um, our house isn’t that big!  I finally heard him in our bedroom closet!  He was hiding and shaking in there. šŸ™  Once I turned on the humidifier and turned off the lights, he was able to calm down.

Alright, I am off to the hospital.  I have today off from work and I’ll play the rest of the week by ear – I’d much rather be off when he’s home – hopefully by Thursday or Friday of this week.

Have a great day!