I brought a cup of the Thai Curry Coconut Soup with Shrimp for my co-worker to try, and in her words, its beyond yummy!
Thai Curry Coconut Soup with Shrimp
- 1 quart low sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil (or olive)
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh garlic
- 1 lemongrass stalk, chopped
- zest of 1 lime
- 2 tsp. curry paste
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1/4 fat free half and half
- salt and pepper to taste (I just added pepper)
- shrimp (I used 5 ounces because that’s all I had on hand)
Heat the oil over medium heat. Add the ginger, lemongrass, curry paste and stir for one minute, until fragrant – and boy is this smell amazing!! Add chicken stock, coconut milk and cream and bring to a boil. Simmer for 15 minutes (this is when I added the shrimp and it cooked perfectly)
I decided to add fresh garnish on top of 1/2 ounce carrots and 1/2 ounce peapods and a couple tablespoons of chopped cilantro.
I used three ingredients I’ve never used before for this soup!
- Curry Paste – hot, but flavorful hot – the recipe I adapted from called for 2 tablespoons, I went with 2 teaspoons, I actually could have added more, since my soup is just barely on the spicy side.
- Coconut Milk – this was really thick! I had no idea – and is low carb too – I love the slight sweetness it gives to the soup
- Lemongrass – the smell of this is so amazing, just so fresh!
Best part? The nutrition! Per cup (this made 5 cups):
- 199 calories
- 15 fat
- 5 carbs
- 10 protein
- 1 fiber
On the side I had cucumber and red pepper and dipped that into light jalapeno ranch.
Tony and I were at Menard’s a week or so ago, and this caught my eye – I love rootbeer! This one is lo-cal – 15 calories per 8 ounces and it is amazing – Tony went back and bought three four-packs!
Breakfast was quick to throw together:
- 2 eggs
- 1.5 ounce chopped ham
- 1/2 ounce cheddar cheese
- 1 ounce of shredded zucchini (make sure to squeeze out all the water
I just put everything into a microwavable bowl and 2 minutes later breakfast was served – oh, and I added chopped pickled jalapenos to kick it up a notch!
I have a few minutes left on my lunch break – work has been so busy, which I like – the day goes by so fast then! Off to catch up on your blogs – come back tonight for Beer can chicken and Broccoli Au Gratin! 😀 (I have to redeem myself from last nights dinner!)